Posted on February 22, 2017
Many of us have tried various pampering facial masks to get our skin glowing. Some of them have probably been made in our own kitchens with ingredients like yogurt, honey, lemon, and avocado, but there is only so much that a mask can do. Even better than a facial mask, or in addition to it, let’s focus on eating the specific foods that are going to get your skin illuminated from the inside out.
Below are 17 of the top foods that Dermatologists know help to purify, brighten and tighten your skin naturally.
• Green Tea – Full of antioxidants and polyphenols which fight free radicals. Also contains EGCG (Epigallocatechingallate), which flushes out toxins and speeds metabolism
• Turmeric – Powerful anti-inflammatory
• Avocado – Healthy fatty acids help to hydrate the skin
• Olive Oil – Contains heart-healthy fats and boosts the function of your thyroid, which regulates metabolism.
• Coconut Oil – A medium chain triglyceride that contains high levels of vitamin E, and has antifungal and antibacterial properties
• Fatty Fish – Omega 3 fatty acids which are incredibly important for your skin and brains health and vibrancy
• Bright vegetables (examples: red peppers, carrots, blue potatoes) – Contain high levels of antioxidants, carotenoids and vitamin C
• Leafy Greens – Full of vitamin K, which may help with arterial and kidney decalcification, as well as strong bones and teeth
• Berries – Antioxidant rich berries help to lower cholesterol, prevent gray hair, aid in weight loss and detoxification
• Cucumber – Helps to flush out water retention and hydrate the skin; contains vitamin k, b, copper, and potassium
• Greek Yogurt – Packed with vitamins and probiotics to help keep your skin clear
• Tomatoes – Contains lycopene, which helps to shield us from the sun’s harmful rays naturally
• Beets – Help to detoxify your skin through antioxidants, which create an anti-inflammatory effect
• Citrus – Loaded with vitamin C, which aids in the production of collagen
• Cruciferous Vegetables (examples: cauliflower, broccoli, and kale) – Promote collagen production through vitamin C, zinc and selenium
• Oysters – Selenium and zinc tighten the skin and improve elasticity
• Hot Peppers – Contain capsaicin, which increases metabolism by approximately 20-30% and keeps that rev going for hours after you’ve eaten them
There are so many healthy foods that are great for your skin, brain, bones, hair, heart and spirit, but the items above are some of the main super-foods that made the list this time around. It’s important to remember to eat natural, whole foods for the majority of your diet. In doing so, your skin will have a beautiful luminosity and you’ll be healthier for it overall.